January is upon us and before we know it the school year will be underway and our days will be crazy hectic once again. Our goal as parents is to set the stage for a successful school year and wholesome nutrition is an integral part of the plan.
The foods we feed our children are instrumental to their growth and development and the right nutrients promote healthy brains, healthy bodies and balanced behaviour. There is also a strong connection between nutrition and learning.
Healthful, wholesome eating can:
- Provide energy.
- Positively impact cognitive ability and concentration.
- Improve alertness, productivity and problem-solving skills.
- Assist in regulating moods.
- Help maintain a healthy weight.
As informed parents, we know that our kids should be eating several servings of widely varied and colourful fruits and vegetables, adequate protein and enough healthy fats, as well as a balance of all other essential vitamins and minerals daily. Are they actually getting everything they need, every day? Not likely – and even less likely when they are at school. We have very little control over what they are eating when they are away from us and with their friends in the tuckshop.
On busy school mornings, preparing a healthy breakfast and packing the perfect lunch may not always be easy. On those days think of the healthy options that NeoLife provides with NeoLifeShake and NeoLifeBar. Our great-tasting shake, available in 3 delicious flavours (Creamy Vanilla, Rich Chocolate and Berries n’ Cream) is a convenient and well-balanced source of protein, fats, carbohydrates and contains 25 essential vitamins and minerals. Our nutrition-packed bar provides natural whole grains, nuts and seeds with antioxidant nutrients and phytonutrients from mixed berries. Both NeoLifeShake and NeoLifeBar are nutritionally balanced to assure long-lasting energy and fullness.
The whole grains in NeoLifeBar are rich in B-vitamins, which are important for every day energy-releasing processes in the body. The fibre in the whole grains helps with weight management and digestion.
NeoLifeBar also provides 320mg of omega-3s from flaxseed. These are essential fats which our bodies can transform into the long chain omega-3 fatty acids. Research has shown that individuals who incorporate more long chain omega-3 fatty acids in their diet have sharper minds and perform better on mental skills tests.1,2 These long chain omega-3 fatty acids help build and maintain healthy brains and eyes and are so essential to the normal development of every child. Some research has also shown that supplemental long chain omega-3s can even be useful in the management of certain childhood behavioural conditions*3
For optimal brain and eye support, consider adding Omega-III Salmon Oil Plus to your child’s nutrition routine. NeoLife’s pure and potent supplement Omega-III Salmon Oil Plus provides 357 mg of omega-3 fatty acids per capsule. Our product is screened for 200+ potential contaminants and contains no artificial anything!
It is well documented that certain other nutrients have tremendous effects on brain health and development. These include: protein, iron, zinc, copper, selenium, vitamin A, choline and folate.
Despite our best efforts as parents, our children are still likely lacking certain important nutrients. A multivitamin supplement is an excellent complement to even the most nutritious diet.
NeoLife has a chewable option for children, as well as adults. Our Vita-Squares are yummy berry-citrus flavoured tablets with no artificial colours, flavours or preservatives. They are loaded with 18 vitamins and minerals and are enhanced with choline and inositol for optimal memory, learning and concentration.*
A hungry or inadequately nourished child is an inattentive child and we want our children to go into the school year feeling fresh, attentive, mentally sharp and ready to learn. Fill that brand-new lunchbox with a variety of healthy options but also remember the importance of supplements and nutritious snacks to ensure your kids are getting everything they need. Now that’s a smart start to the school year!
Learn more at NeoLife.com or by calling NeoLife Support Services on AU 1800 637 057 or NZ 0800 445 049.
- Helland IB, Smith L, Saarem K, Saugstad OD, Drevon CA. Maternal supplementation with very-long-chain n-3 fatty acids during pregnancy and lactation augments children’s IQ at 4 years of age. Pediatrics. 2003;111(1):e39-e44. doi:10.1542/peds.111.1.e39
- Fontani G, Corradeschi F, Felici A, Alfatti F, Migliorini S, Lodi L. Cognitive and physiological effects of Omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acid supplementation in healthy subjects. Eur J Clin Invest. 2005;35(11):691-699. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2362.2005.01570.x
- Chang JP-C, Su K-P, Mondelli V, Pariante CM. Omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids in youths with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder: a systematic review and meta-analysis of clinical trials and biological studies. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2018;43(3):534-545. doi:10.1038/npp.2017.160
* Always read the label. Use only as directed. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.